Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The crap I have been through....

OK, so Ihad my 4 wisdom teeth removed on Saturday the 14th. They were impacted in the bone and settled at a 45 degree angle as my jaw was too small to accomodate them. 4 months ago I had to have my very back 2 molars extracted because my wisdom teeth had damaged them, causing them to crack and break below the gum line. Well I thought that was painful.....

I remember the DR placing the IV in to put me to sleep, but I have a very spotty memory of what happened in the 36 hours after. All I know is I woke up looking like this.
I was grossly swollen and so so sore and bleeding and the Dr had cut my lip! I had no feeling in my entire left side of my face- like I had a stroke and talking was difficult. I could barely open my mouth to eat any pureed food. I was sick to my stomach. I thought it was the antibiotic, but now I believe it was the anesthesia that made me sick and I am going to try to resume the antibiotic for preventative purposes. I do not need or want an infection.
Fast forward to today. I am looking better. The anti-inflamatories have helped with the swelling and nerve compression, but i still am considerably numb on the left side. My cheek is stiff still and difficult to smile. I also have a hard lump along my jawbone. Not sure if it is a hematoma or what, but it better go away.

I still resemble someone with Bells Palsy or something of the like. I was able to eat more and get my mouth open wider. One of my sutures popped too. It is frustrating. I didnt know I would be so numb with nerve damage. The Dr did say my roots were resting right next to the nerve and this was a risk.

So this is the crap I have been dealing with.

Mom went home today. I already miss her. We did very well with upholding some of the routines she helped us to establish with the boys and I do feel that as it becomes the absolute norm ( it has only been 2 weeks) and they fully know what is expected, things will only go smoother. We were so lucky to have her here to help us move and unpack and clean as much as she did. I feel so good that she got to see our lovely new house and new furniture and feel our giddy hapiness with us.

Miss you mom. I am sure Jay is glad to have you back home. The boys still knock on my office door and say "where Nanny?" (sniff, sniff).

3 comments:

Jessica said...

you poor, poor thing! I can't imagine the pain you have been though. Hang in there. The house looks great!

Anonymous said...

Sweetie, you look like a mug shot from America's Most Wanted. Perhaps you robbed a bank and ran a meth lab or something. Feel for you. Hope you are back to normal soon.
Love,
Judy

Anonymous said...

Hey I got my wisdom teeth out back in December. Now I have a large lump like yours on my cheek months later that appeared two days ago. What did you do to take care of it? My oral surgen gave me antibiotics but it doesn't appear to be working. How long did it take to heal??