Thursday, January 17, 2008

My ADHD Child

My ADHD Child a poem by Tracy Nicolaus

He's bouncing off the wall, a superball gone insane,
He runs through your world like an off-rail freight train
Interruptions are constant, tantrums galore
When it's time to do homework,he's gone, out the door.

The drama is constant, oh his foot fell asleep,
He moans and he wails, the theatrics run deep.
School is a nightmare, the teachers are lost
If they only could see, he is worth the cost
He is brighter than most, as most these kids are
And with patience and love,I know he'll go far

But the crap I must take from "well meaning friends"
"Don't let him do that!" "Oh, these rules that he bends!"
"You're not a good parent". "Your child's really rude"
"His temper's outrageous." "He has hands in his food".
He hears this and wonders, just what's wrong with me?
I tell him, "You're special, you have ADHD"."

Now ADHD is a gift from above.
It teaches us grownups how to strengthen our love.
It helps teach your teachers, no two kids are the same
You have awesome energy that could bring you great fame".
"You don't need much sleep, you never wear down,?
You're silly and funny, when you act like a clown,

You've felt lots of pain from what people have said
But you pray for those people when you go to bed".
"So you try every day to make a fresh start
For God gifted you with an extra big heart."

As I look at my child, he sees through my soul
My heart feels like bursting, as I realize my goal.
I know this young boy like no one else could
He's a blessing to me, he's strong, and he's good.

So I'll love him and guide him through the worst of the worst
And he'll make a great man (if I don't kill him first).
I'm kidding, of course, 'cause I know what's to be
When I look in his eyes, I see a reflection of me.

If you got this far, I thank you. Many close family and friends know what we deal with on a constant basis. But this poem really struck me because it truely shows the stings of having a child with a disorder. Trevor is a sweet boy with a HUGE heart and big brown eyes that melt your heart. He has challenges and it is sometimes hard to see the goodness. I just wanted to share.

No comments: