Wednesday, November 26, 2008

New Traditions....

New traditions are hard. This year, I was kind of given the short end by having to work both Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve. This prevents me from coming home timely for the holidays. At least we will head home Christmas day to see family and have a couple of days to feel the warmth of family.
This year, I am attempting my own try at making a Thanksgiving meal. We will miss Dad's fabulous juicy bird, Mom Karen's wonderful salad, and Mom Deb's corn dish and green bean caserole. It will be so hard to not have the aroma of the Thanksgiving holiday amongst family.
New traditions start. I promised Trevor a True Thanksgiving meal complete with pumpkin pie. So tonight I scour the web, trying to find the best way to cook this bird that sits frozen on my counter (God help us all). We will have the staples, corn, stuffing, mashed potoatos and gravy, green beans and pumpkin and caramel apple pie for dessert. it will likely be way more food than our little family of 5 can eat, but that is the beauty of Turkey sandwiches for the next few days:)
:sigh:
I am sad. Sad, because I often question whether it was the best decision to take my boys so far from their family. But am I not teaching them the importance of closeness amongst your immediate family?
I miss everyone. We all do. But this, like many more to come, is a new tradition.

No comments: